- 12 + years of professional communication, marketing and writing experience
- 12 + years of event coordination and promotion experience
- 8+ years of professional social media management, content development and community engagement experience
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Proficient with graphic design software including Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Holds a Master of Professional Communication degree (Ryerson University, 2012)
2011 – 2012 Master of Professional Communication, Faculty of Communication and Design, Ryerson University
• Relevant classes include: The Virtual Organization; Advanced Editing and Document Design; Cross-Cultural Communication; Strategic Media Relations; Communication and Technology; Professional Communication: History, Theory & Practice
• Research interests include social media, online communities, gender and communication, crisis communication, healthcare, and public relations
• Nominated for Best Major Research Project
2000 – 2004 Bachelor of Arts (with Distinction), Sociology with a minor in History, University of Victoria
Communications Specialist, Runnymede Healthcare Centre, October 2015-present
- Communications planning for the hospital, including internal and external events, publications, and social media and collaborated on issues management plans.
- Re-vamped social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn); increased average number of followers by 20% and engagement by 15%
- Lead editor on both The Reporter, Runnymede’s external quarterly print and electronic newsletter, and The Pulse, a bi-monthly internal e-newsletter. Includes collaborating with hospital departments to promote new developments and managing contributors to meet deadlines and standards of the publications.
- Diverse writing projects including speeches and speaking notes, internal memos, presentations, press releases, web content, donor correspondence, messages from the CEO.
- Coordinated events for internal and external audiences including staff awards, Black History Month celebrations, all-staff meetings and the launch of the 2016 four-year strategic plan.
- Working with media including CBC Radio, trade publications like Hospital News and neighbourhood weeklies to promote events and innovative projects at the hospital.
Communications Coordinator, University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies, 2012- 2015
- Primary content developer for the School, including content strategy and content production, ensuring consistency and alignment with brand, image, voice and standards of the University.
- Copy/promotional writing for the learn.utoronto.ca website as well as print media including advertorial, press releases and writing for internal audiences.
- Strategic and tactical lead on social media; responsible for developing a social media strategy that delivers on School objectives and identifies opportunities to use social media to assist in marketing the School’s courses, to build our brand, enhance general public awareness, and to strengthen the reputation and profile of the School.
- Developed a brand ambassador program to promote a new entrepreneurship program; work with student ambassadors to promote the program including coaching on material and ensuring adherence to brand standards.
Founding Editor, HeyReceiver.com, April 2012-present
HeyReceiver.com is a blog created by members of the Ryerson MPC Class of 2012, and dedicated to exploring the world of communications from academic, business, social and popular culture perspectives.
- Created an overall plan for design, content, promotion and launch in collaboration with other contributors.
- Edited entries to ensure correct spelling, grammar and style.
- Managed three social media accounts, including analyzing metrics to ensure maximum visibility.
- Created documents for internal use including a style guide, how-to guides for contributors, and a social media plan & policy.
Communications Intern, Public Interest Strategy & Communication, 2012
- Creation of an external communication plan that included multiple social media platforms, creation and dissemination of e-newsletters, website updates and increased media relations.
- Organizational background research including conducting interviews with staff and framing organizational communication goals.
- Training and implementation of the communication plan.
Marketing and Events Manager, Good For Her, 2007 – 2011
- Developed communication and marketing plans for overall operations and special events. These plans included diversifying delivery methods to include a larger focus on social media, blogging, community involvement and outreach as well as developing a web advertising strategy.
- Created and maintained Twitter and Facebook accounts with upwards of 3500 social media followers
- Composed communications for both internal and external use including memos, e-newsletters for over 6000 subscribers, blog entries, press releases, and event sponsorship solicitation
- Acted as the media contact, answering an average of 10 media requests per month as well as pitching stories to journalists and bloggers
- Maintained store website via CMS software, including overseeing two website re-designs, writing content and product descriptions, and liaising with website developers
- Created advertising campaigns for print and web and worked closely with graphic designers
- Produced events for diverse audiences with attendance ranging from 5 to 500 people. Event coordination duties included all aspects of publicity, promotion, sponsorship, venue coordination, talent booking, and more
Freelance Writer , 2004 – present
- Writing short and feature length articles for a variety of publications (including Chatelaine, THIS Magazine, Terminal City Weekly, Shameless, and Art Threat) on a wide range of topics. Feature article “The New Face of Porn” was anthologized in Best Canadian Essays 2009 and Gendered Intersections: An Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies.
- Returning assignments and performing edits within established time lines.
Content Manager, Editor and Writer, WS Web Stars, 2005-2007
- Researched, wrote and posted blog entries concerning health, arts and entertainment.
- Created form letters for official correspondence, press releases, newsletters and copy (including instructions and descriptions) and other writing on an as-needed basis.
- Established client relations with users of the website as well as site sales managers and webmasters.